Doroszló and the "Doroszló Cottage".
Doroszló (Doroslo) is situated in the Southwest corner of Bacska (Bachka), on the shores of the Duna (Danube)-Tisza and Danube Canal. It is a mainly Hungarian populated settlement, about 20km South of Zombor (Sombor), Yugoslavia. Doroszló has been known by this name as early as 1313. In 1662, as the result of the Turkish invasion of the village Doroszló, was on the list of completely destroyed places. After the Turkish army was defeated and had withdrawn, a new settlement was established in 1752. This new Doroszló, was re-settled a few kilometers away from the original settlement, near the site of the Szentkút (Saintcoot) or "Holy Well" which is a natural spring. At this "Holy Well" our "Lady" mother of Jesus, is said to have appeared to a Doroszló fisherman. Since the Middle Ages Christian pilgrims have visited Szentkút.
Doroslo grew into a village where a community of Hungarian free settlers for the most part lived, and loved these fertile Panonian Plains, that they farmed. Here their peaceful provincial life was embellished by a rich folk culture and their homes reflected this.
The need for preservation of this valuable folk heritage in the village cannot be disputed.
The realization of this intention, can be found in beautiful tree lined Szentkut Street, this is one of the oldest streets in the village of Doroszló. It sits snugly among leafy trees and colorful garden beds on a 3,600 sq. meter block of land. Here you will find this unique whitewashed, cobwall cottage, which has been carefully restored to the provincial style of the 1930’s. This is "Doroszló Cottage". It tells a collective story of the peasants of this village; what mattered in their lives what they identified with, how they related to one another and a place where they could feel safe and protected.
Entering from the street via a "small entry", to a verandah, which spans the length of the cottage. Hanging from the eaves, are ropes of Hungarian red paprika, including a neat courtyard with colorful flowers, welcoming the visitor.
The front room, faces the street is the "clean room". The "clean room," is set aside, by the family as a sanctuary. Walking in to this room is like entering a folk tale. Here the trousseau and religious objects are laid out. Because this is the "clean room" traditionally, the family does not live in this room. Though, there are beds in it, with feather pillows and doonas, piled high which is covered with an incomparable embroidered linen bedspread, all so characteristic exceptional, to Doroszló. Between the two front windows, in pride of place on the top of a chest of drawers, are the devotional statues. White washed walls are adorned, with holy pictures, and near the door, hangs a holy-water basin. This room, that emanates peace and serenity.
The mid-section of the house, also serves as the kitchen. A large open chimney covers almost half of the ceiling area. Beneath this is a table, set for the main meal of the day, this is typically at midday, when the church bell rings. Pots, pans and kitchen equipment hang from hooks. And displayed on racks on the whitewashed walls are beautiful, hand painted earthenware plates and mugs preserved since 1890.
Leading from the kitchen on the opposite side of the room is another room and this is where the family lived. Here stands a tall earthenware oven and between this is a walled section forming a cozy warm nook. In here are beds, covered with "everyday" bedding and a cradle, for little ones, dark stained furniture, and an internal window or "blind hole". In the window alcove sits a sewing basket, and other bits and bobs. In this part of the house personal clothing and effects are laid out ready for the families to use.
Towards the furthermost end of the cottage from verandah, is a well-stocked pantry. A ladder in here goes up to a loft, which spans the length of the house. Next-door is an arched, wine cellar. Then last is a storeroom. Here all the tools, utensils and equipment are kept; all a devoted farmer would need to tend his farm. Also not forgotten is all theparaphernalia of the farmer’s wife for the smooth running of her home and yard, linen mandrel, woven baskets ready, for collecting the eggs.
Outside are the stables and ready be hitched is a ornamented cart. In the farmyard, only the animals are missing.
But that is not the end of it. Nature blessed abundantly the environs of this little cottage with its shady trees and colorful garden, and down the paddock a cool stream of the once little river Mosztonga (Mostonga).
"Doroszló Cottage" with its little blue windows full of red geraniums is an architecturally authentic, ethnographic museum: A monument, supported, and maintained, by the local community who have contributed, their time and precious personal family heirlooms, for all to enjoy, and admire.
Indebtedness must also go to the co founders, Kathy Renic Kistamas, Rozalia Raj and Istvan Nagy, who turned, this little unique cobwalled cottage, into living heritage, that is today, "Doroszló Cottage"!